Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "The example of the person who retracts his gift is like a dog which eats, but when it is full, it vomits then swallows its vomit." (1)
The meaning of the Hadith: (2)
The Hadith gives a bad example for the person who retracts his gift is like a dog which swallows its vomit. The Hadith is in Sahih Al Bukhari and Sahih Muslim with difference in some words. Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them) narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "He who takes back his present is like him who swallows his vomit." (3)
In another narration, he said: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "The bad example is not for us. He who takes back his present is like a dog that swallows back its vomit." (4)
Ibn Hajar says: "The bad example is not for us." means: It is not permissible for us, O Muslims, to have such a bad quality which the meanest animals have. Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) says: "For those who believe not in the Hereafter is an evil description, and for Allâh is the highest description." Perhaps this style is more deterrent and more expressive for prohibition than to say: Do not retract your gifts. (5)
(1) Sunan Ibn Majah, No. (2384) and Musnad Imam Ahmad, 12/ 493, No. (7524) and Al Albany graded it as authentic. See: As-Silsilah As-Sahihah, 4/ 275, No. (1699) He said: The Hadith has similar Hadiths with the same meaning in Irwa' Al Ghalil No. (1621)
(2) See: Fathul-Bary of Ibn Hajar 5/535- 236.
(3) Sahih Al Bukhari No. (2621)
(4) Sahih Al Bukhari No. (2622)
(5) Fathul-Bary, commentary on Sahih Al Bukhari of Ibn Hajar Al `Asqalany, 5/ 235- 236.