1- The Marfu` Hadith of Anas that was traced back to the Prophet (may the peace and the blessings of Allah be upon him), he said: “Allah appoints an angel in charge of the uterus who asks: “O Lord! (It is) semen (1) O Lord! (It is now) a clot (2)! O Lord, (It is now) a piece of flesh (3).” And then, if Allah wills to complete its creation (4), the angel asks: “O Lord, (will it be) a male or a female? Will it be a wretched (an evil doer) or a blessed (doer of good)? How much will be his provisions? What will be his age?” And all those are written while it is still in its mother's womb." (*).
[Reported by Al Bukhari (5) and Muslim (6)].
2 –The Hadith of `Abdullah ibn Masu`d who said that the Prophet of Allah (may the peace and the blessings of Allah be upon him) the Truthful and the Honest said: "Each one of you is collected in the womb of his mother for forty days and then turns into a clot for an equal period (of forty days)(in it) and turns into a piece of flesh for a similar period (of forty days) (in it )and then Allah sends an angel and then the soul is breathed into it then the he (angel) is ordered to write four things, i.e. his provision, his age, and whether he will be a wretched or blessed (in the Hereafter)." (**)
[Reported by Al Bukhari (8) and Muslim (9) however, the word of this version belongs to Muslim who differs from Al Bukhari with the phrase (in it) while Al Bukhari has the following plain words “Then it turns into a clot for an equal period (of forty days) and turns into a piece of flesh for a similar period (of forty days)…….”.
Furthermore, the dignified Hadith adds: “And by Allah, there is no god except Him, a person among you may do deeds of the people of Paradise till there is only a cubit or an arm-breadth distance between him and the Paradise, then that writing (which Allah has ordered the angel to write) precedes, and he does the deeds of the people of Fire and enters it; and a person among you may do the deeds of the people of Fire till there is only a cubit between him and Fire and then that writing precedes and he does the deeds of the people of the Paradise and enters it."
(1) The Arabic word ‘Nutfah’ denotes pure water, weather big quantity or small, however, it is more specific with the little quantity, also the word ‘Nutfah’ usually refers to the sperm of man. See ‘An-Nihayah Fi Gharib Al Hadith’ (5/75), and ‘Lisan Al Arab’ (6/4461.4462).
Al Hafiz Ibn Hajar says in Fathul-Bary (11/479): “The Arabic word ‘Nutfah’ simply denotes the sperm.” End of quote. Consequently, there are three types of sperm: sperm of man, sperm of woman and sperm fused with woman’s egg or mingled gametes as commentators said. See Tafsir Ibn Kathir (8/310).
In addition, the dignified Hadith has described the spermatic fluid as (sperm of man, and sperm of woman), and (semen of man and semen of woman). See: Chapter on status of man’s sperm and woman's sperm, Hadith No. 8.10, 11.
The word ‘Nutfah’ here refers to the fused gamete; because it is the element that develops into a clinging clot then into an embryo. And Allah knows best.
(2) The Arabic word ‘Al `Alaqah’ denotes the thick, viscous and coagulated mass of blood. It is called ‘Al `Alqah’ because it contains moisture and clings to whatever passes by, also ‘Al `Alqah’ denotes the leech: an aquatic bloodsucking worm of red color that lives in water. See ‘Gharib Al Hadith’ by Al Harbi (3/216), and ‘Lisan Al Arab’ (4/3075), and ‘Fathul-Bary’ (11/481 482).
Al Raghib said: "’Al `Alaq’ is a worm that clings to the throat." End of quote. ‘Al Mufradat’, p, (343).
(3) ‘Al Mudhghah’: is a chewable piece of meat as well as an earlier form of fetus is also called ‘Al `Alaqah’. Al Azhari said: "When a clinging clot develops into a piece of meat is called ‘Mudhghah’." See ‘An-Nihayah Fi Gharib Al Hadith’ (4/339), and ‘Lisan Al Arab’ (6/4222).
(4) The words between brackets refer to the version narrated by Muslim, the beginning of his version is: “Indeed, Allah Almighty has appointed...”.
(*) The Creation of Human-Being between Medicine and Qur'an (243).
(5) Sahih Al Bukhari -Book of Menstruation- Chapter on (a little lump of flesh) some formed and some unformed. (1/418 Hadith No. 318), and the Book of Prophets –Chapter on: The creation of Adam and his offspring (6/363 Hadith No. 3333) and -Book of Divine Will- Section: (1) (11/477 Hadith No. 6594). The reference belongs to this chapter.
(6) Sahih Muslim -Book of Destiny- Chapter on: How human-being is created in the womb of his mother ... (4/2038 Hadith No. 2646).
(7) The words between brackets have been narrated only by Muslim.
(**) Embryology in the Light of Qur’an and Sunnah p. ( 141,142).
(8) Sahih Al Bukhari - Book of Beginning of the Creation- Chapter on: Mention of Angels (6/303 Hadith No. 3208) and Book of the Prophets – Chapter on: The creation of Adam and his offspring (6/363,Hadith No. 3332) and Book of Destiny –Section: (1) - (11/477 Hadith No. 6594) and-Book of Oneness of Allah –Chapter on (And, verily, Our Word has gone forth of old for Our slaves, the Messengers.) [As-Saffat: 171].
(9) Sahih Muslim -Book of Destiny- Chapter on: How the human-being is created in the womb of his mother ... (4/2036, 2037 Hadith No. 2643).