Episode 13: Skin colour, one is not favoured by it 1/2
The Statements relating to organs in the human body:
• First section: Skin colour, one is not favoured by it.
• Second section: The number of joints.
• Third section: The breakdown of the body.
The first section
Skin colour, one is not favoured by it.
1 - The Statement: «Did you abuse him by calling his mother names. You are a person with some characteristics of ignorance still in you, [The Saa’ had expatiated, the Saa’ has expatiated] (1), the son of a white woman has no favour over that of a black woman, except through piety », then looked at Abu Dharr and said to him: «Look! You are not better than people with red or black skins unless you excel them in piety to Allah» (*).
The first part of it, up to where he says: « with some characteristics of ignorance still in you», was narrated by the two Sheikhs by way of Al Ma’rur bin Suweid, quoting him as having said: "I met Abu Dharr at Ar-Rabadha. He was wearing a cloak, and his slave, too, was wearing a similar one. I asked about the reason for it. He replied, "I abused a person by calling his mother with bad names." The Prophet said to me, 'O Abu Dharr! Did you abuse him by calling his mother with bad names?»... (2).
As for his saying: «Look! You are not ...», etc., was narrated by Ahmad (3), and Al ‘Iraqi corrected its chain of narration (4).
And attests to it what Ahmad narrated (5), that Abu Nadhirah said: "One who witnessed the sermon of the Prophet in Mina conversed with me, he said: «The Messenger of Allah stood up during the middle of the days of Tashreeq (the three days following Eid-ul-Adha) and said: «O people! Verily your Lord is one and your father is one. There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab or a non-Arab over an Arab; or for a black over a red or a red over a black, except in piety to Allah. Have I delivered the message? »... and its chain of narrators is correct, and ignorance of the Companion does not harm, as it is known.
(1) Ibn Al Atheer said: «You are all the progeny of Adam as the expatiation of the Saa’, none has any favour over another except in piety» i.e. you are closer to each other. It is said: this is the expatiating measure, its expatiation and its expatiate: what neared its fill, and it has been said: what towered above its rim; it is also called: Tofaaf, bearing a diacritical ‘dhamma’, and meaning: all of you in claim of relationship belong to one father, with the same status in imperfection and diminution from ultimate perfection. He compared them in their diminution with the measurer who failed to accomplish filling the bushel, then informed them that favouritism is not through descent, but with piety"... end of quote, An-Nihayah (3/129).
(*) A Book (and the skin spoke (p. 126, 127). Its author, Dr. Ibrahim Khalil said: "It happened one day that a debate raged between the known Companion (Abu Dharr Al-Ghifari) and a black person, as he got angry with him and said to him: O, son of a black woman! - As it was said to ‘Antara in the pre-Islamic era – so what happened next?! To see this thrilling and eventual scenario"- and titled with the following title: (the Apostle’s stance regarding this incident) - and said: "he rebuked Abu Dharr in what he did, and said to him..."
(2) The Sahih of Bukhari - Book of Faith - the chapter pertaining to the sins during the period of ignorance (1/84, Statement 30), and the Book of Manumission of Slaves = the chapter pertaining to the saying of the Prophet: «slaves are your brothers, feed them from what you eat» (5/173,174, Statement 2545) and the Book of Good Manners and Form - the chapter pertaining to that which forbids swearing and cursing (10/465, Statement 6050).
The Sahih of Muslim - Book of Faith – the chapter pertaining to feeding the owned from that which he eats, and clothing him from that which he wears, (3/1282, 1283, Statement 1661).
(3) Al-Musnad (5/158).
(4) Documentation of the Statements of “Al Ihya'’” (3/175).
(5) Al-Musnad (5/411).