It is lawful to wipe over the socks, for it has been authentically affirmed that the Companions (may Allah be pleased with them) wiped over their socks. Abu Dawood mentioned that Abdullah ibn Masood (may Allah be pleased with him), Anas ibn Malik (may Allah be pleased with him), Al-Baraa ibn Aazib (may Allah be please with him), Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah be pleased with him) and others wiped over their socks.
Conditions for wiping over the Khuff or socks
1. The Khuff or socks must cover the foot and ankles. One cannot wipe over shoes if they do not cover this area.
2. One must have worn the Khuff or socks while he had a valid Wudhu. If one is not in a state of Wudhu when they put on the socks or Khuff, they cannot wipe over them.
3. Seminal discharge invalidates wiping over the Khuff or socks.
1. One should wet their hands and wipe the upper part of the Khuff or socks.
2. One should wipe once only.
3. One should begin with the right foot using the right hand and then wipe the left foot using the left hand.
4. It is permissible to wipe over the turban, and women may wipe over their head cover for a period of time similar to the period of wiping over the Khuff and socks, with the same conditions.
What nullifies wiping over the Khuff or socks
1. End of period. If a day and a night passes for a resident or three days and three nights passes for a traveler, such person cannot wipe over the Khuff or socks.
2. If one is in a state of Janabah (major ritual impurity).
Question: Someone performed Wudhu and then wiped over his socks, and later on he took them off and performed Salah. Is this Salah valid?
Answer: There is no harm in doing so if he took off his socks while his Wudhu was still valid. But if he took them off after invalidating his Wudhu, he should perform new Wudhu and repeat the Salah he performed. (Bin Baz).
Question: Is it permissible to wipe over translucent socks?
Answer: It is not permissible to wipe over translucent socks because the feet in such socks are considered as exposed and wiping over exposed feet is not valid.